Monday 4 May 2015

During Term Two we are learning Poetic Writing. We are going to write the poetic forms which could be acrostic, haiku, limerick, free verse and other kinds of poems. Poems can have different themes, may rhyme or not and we use poetic devices such as simile, metaphor,or word play. Here are some examples of our poems:

Poem About My Holiday 

By Nikita

Holidays are as sweet as a cupcake and as beautiful as a beach
We always go back to school where all teachers go and teach.
But my favourite season in the holidays is the sunny summer
It's absolutely wonderful filled with sun it's never a bummer.

I just go to the beach and lay on a towel in the bright sun
Once I'm finished relaxing I go and have a lot of fun!
I build a town of sandcastles and just jump in the salty-sea water
I sit down beside my mum as she calls me her sweet daughter.

But then it's the end of the day so I decided to watch the sunset
There is just one last thing to say this day I can never forget. 

ANZAC Poem
By Mabel

On April 25 a long time ago, exactly 100 years
Our New Zealand soldiers went to battle
It’s like in a parade which started at dawn in Gallipoli
Many lives were lost and some were saved
And all together we mourn.
We march to remember those brave men
They fought for our freedom
They suffered long days
And cold dark nights.

They marched through muddy grounds
And when they looked behind they saw the poppies grow
We were these poppies on the day we mourn
To remember the courage of the men
So strong we want them to know
That in our hearts we will always
Remember their strength
And their courage on that sad day
Their memory still lives on in our hearts.

The Anzac men will rest on their graves
But will remain forever young in our hearts
Their bravery took them to fight in that war
We are thankful for the ones who came back
And they were truly blessed
With a guiding light leading them home
They rose up high as the war was won
And remembered by their friends who loved them
They will forever live in God’s eternal house.


In The Trenches
Lexi

I sat in the dark cold and dirty trench trying to get some sleep ignoring the sound of booms, gunshots and injured men screaming for help. I would have gone to help but who knows what’s out there. I looked up at our man on lookout, he was much younger than I. All I could see of him was my young chap at home with my wife and other kids. The other day was Christmas, we men in our trenches had a short time to talk about our families and what we would be doing with them to celebrate today and how happy we would be. I would have been at church with my wife and kids. I had been here for 116 days and every day our troop stuck together but had gone smaller each day.

I still could not sleep so I got out my unfinished letter and carried on writing. This was going to my wife and kids back in New Zealand. At home I was a carpenter. I didn't earn much money for my family but we had enough to make us happy and stay together. I received two letters back from my wife and one from my oldest son saying how much he missed me and my support that I gave him when he was having problems at home. He also said that Mum wasn't coping with me being gone for so long.

I finished my letter just in time to see the sunrise. It was very beautiful, the best I had seen in a long time. But it would have been nicer at home. Everything would be perfect but now is the time to serve my country and fight for what is right and that is what I did.

I am happy to say that I came home safe. My oldest boy was married by the time I got back though. I would have loved to be there for him but I am even happier to be here today and enjoying life with my loving family.


ANZAC Poem
By Nicholas

Anzac Day is a very special day for all the New Zealand soldiers who risked their lives for our country.
There were 16, 17 and 18 year old men who went to war and thought it was just an adventure.

They were fighting for over three years.
The First world war was called the Great War because they thought it was the only war.
My grandad had a medal from the war and it is awesome But everytime I see it, it reminds me of the people who died for this country 100 years ago.

Most of the New Zealand soldiers lost their lives
And they will never be forgotten for hundreds of years to come.
All the men walked in the mud then fought and smelt of dead bodies they would have to sleep through it.

In our family, my caring grandfather said I will be getting his medal.
I am proud of keeping it and I will treasure it in my life forever. 


The Men Who Served for Our Country
By Molly

We aren’t the best country in the world but we care about our ANZAC tradition.
The Men who went into battle for our country shall be well looked upon.
They cared for our country like no one else does.

Australia and New Zealand soldiers went into battle in the war for us, without a choice
Even if they had a choice they would still go into war
for us and their families.

I basically don't know much about the people themselves But I know it would have been hard for them
because they had to kill people in cold blood.
They had no choice whatsoever.

Some men had babies on the way at home
But couldn't be there for their wives and the babies
and before you know it they were dead in the battlefields.

This ANZAC celebration is very important to me and it should be for you too. We should learn about ANZAC because if we don't we are going to forget about it forever.

      ABC Poem
                         By Genevieve
  We are learning to write a poem using interesting adjectives.

A red book was sitting on a dusty
Bookshelf, waiting to be discovered.
Close by was another red book, of the same series. They were as
Dusty as the bookshelf, lost and forgotten in the spare room. A girl named Anna, who was twelve
Entered the spare room, and immediately saw the
Forgotten books. She was interested, because on the cover of one book were letters printed in
Gold: 'The Wonders of Magic - The Discovery'. She took the books up to
Her bedroom, and cleared them of the clingy dust.
In her bedroom, the girl read and read. She
Jumped when her mother called her down for dinner. Right then and there was a loud
Knock at the door. Anna opened it, only to  
Let a person who she could only see the silhouette of grab the two books from her hands and
Make for the open road. Anna was
Not happy, as she stood
Open- mouthed. She just didn't know what to do. The girl ran back to the spare room and
Put her hand on the almost empty shelf. She
Questioned herself, "What just happened?" She
Raced back down the soft carpeted
Stairs, and joined her mum for dinner. After dinner she walked upstairs and
Threw herself on her bed, thinking of what she had read. Anna prepared for the night ahead.
Under the soft bedding, Anna dreamt of things in the books. She saw things like
Vast green oceans, dark blue paddocks, and talking animals.
When Anna woke she was determined to get the books back. Her mother left home with a
Xyster in her pocket; she was a surgeon. Anna thought of
Yesterday and what happened. She took the usual bus to school, and later
Zoomed to the library to see if there were some copies of the two books that she found in the spare room.

A B C poem
by Chiara

Ants are small and tiny.
Bees are black and yellow and sting you.
Cheetahs are the fastest animal in the world.
Dogs are man’s best friend.
Elephants are crazy cute.
Frogs are sticky and ugly.
Gars can grow more than 3metres long.
Hamsters are tiny and fast.
Indri are large and like to sleep.
Jaguars are dotty and dangerous.
Kangaroos can jump very high.
Lemur have stripe tails and are very full of themselves.
Meerkats are small and can eat bugs.
Nightingale very smart birds.
Octopus are very slimy.
Parrots are very annoying and copy what you say.
Quokka can make runways through long grass.
Rats can be your pets.
Sabres have very big teeth.
Tasmanian devils make a big mess in your house.
Ukaris have very red faces.
Vampire Bats suck your blood out.
Warthogs are very strong.
X-Ray Tetra are small fishes.

Haikus
By Owen

The beautiful sea
glistened in the bright moonlight,
fish jumped from the sea.

The cool water went
down the stream flowing gently
through the mossy rocks.

The sun peeked over
the beautiful mountain range
the lake was quiet.

The galaxy was
still, as the quiet stars looked
down upon the earth.


Haikus
By Kiana

The beautiful sun
Amazing ocean-like sky
Lovely summer day.

The white snow falling
The wonderful yet cold air
What a winter day!

An unknown big place
So deep and quite mysterious
Oasis called forest.











No comments:

Post a Comment